Thursday, December 11, 2014

Diversity movement's message to straight white male Christians: zip it; we've been hearing from you for 400 years

Just today I sent in my next newspaper column, and I'd been wondering if it was perhaps a little over the top.  In so many words, I said that the push for "diversity" in our society is predicated on the notion that without it, we'd lapse into some kind of pervasive bigotry, and that the implicit message in it is justified white guilt.  I always wonder if I really considered a subject fully when I get that hardcore in a column.

Then I started thinking about how often I've been hearing the term "white privilege" lately, and I decided I was spot on.

An ostensibly objective journalist at Univision feels comfortable using it in a conversation with the Most Equal Comrade:



Yeah, they went there.
“The killings of Michael Brown and Treyvon Martin clearly shows that we don’t live in a post-racial society as many expected when you were elected,” Ramos says.
Obama chuckled, “Well, I didn’t expect that. You probably didn’t either.”
“But many people expected you to do more on race relations, dealing with white privilege. Do you get angry with this? Is it your responsibility?”
Then President Obama claimed Americans experience more equality now than before he took office, and also that Eric Holder was awesome. When Ramos pressed on saying, “but there’s not really been a lot of improvement,” Obama retorted, “The folks who say there’s not a lot of improvement, I don’t think were living in the 50′s and remembering what it was like to be black or Hispanic and interacting with the police then.”

The president of California State University takes it as fact:

In a Dec. 5 op-ed, the president of California State University (CSU) claimed if you are “light skinned” you have “significant unearned privilege” and routinely think less of those who are different than yourself.
In her piece, “Privilege at The Beach,”—referencing the Long Beach area where the school resides—Jane Close Conoley, a white woman herself, asserts that “light skin color and high income levels may attract significant unearned privilege.” Those who qualify for such privilege, often unknowingly exert distrust and “lower expectations of behavior” on those of another skin color.
So, no, I wasn't off-base.  White male Christian  heterosexuals are expected to puke all over themselves and expose their innermost thought patterns to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are not bigots.


1 comment:

  1. Not that it matters a whit, and it might be twilight thinking, but personally, I have given up on trying to be multicultural. We lost the War on Poverty, the blacks are still pooping in their own mess kits, the Muslims hate us more than ever, even our white women dump on us. Let the Xers and the Millenniala give it a go. I'm off to put my white ass soul on ice, right in that cooler there with a ham on, yes indeedie, rye. Let's just say I've gone fishin'.

    ReplyDelete