Saturday, May 4, 2013

The national sickness in microcosm

Once in a while, I go local at LITD, usually because something I run across has broader implications.

Such is the case with a front-page story in our local paper (disclosure: I write for several of its magazines) today about the upcoming keynote address by the head of the local community foundation at the annual meeting of the local multi-ethnic organization.  She tells the paper that she will say that while our city has made important strides in becoming more welcoming and diverse, much still needs to be done.

She specifically cites two groups - Latinos and the LBGTQ "community" (and I found out that the Q stands for "questioning."  That's how far we have descended into indulging people's self-absorption in post-America.)

My question to the nice community-foundation lady is this: What the hell more would you have us do?

Last year, her foundation awarded grants to twelve groups in town with the intent that they'd use them to make the city more "welcoming." I attended the reception at which the groups' heads got up and thanked the foundation and told a bit about the projects they'd do with the money.  The lady from the Latino group pretty much stated that most Mexicans in our city tend, of their own volition, to stay in their trailer parks when they're not working.   Well, that's their problem.  Nobody's making them not come downtown to Farmers' Market or the summer block party or the Christmas parade or the concerts in the park. I see all kinds of other demographic groups represented at those events - Chinese and Indian folks, hippies, muckety-mucks, and, yes, people whose sexual proclivities are other than hetero.  I don't know why the Mexicans prefer to keep a low profile, but it's their choice.

Speaking of people with other-than-hetero proclivities, just what else are we supposed to do in the way of outreach with them?  We already have a gay-straight alliance for people interested in such things.

I'll tell you one thing.  Christians ought to be concerned. It's not rocket science to see where this is going.  It winds up with busybodies either in the employ of the government or with great influence upon it sticking their nose into what goes on in the area's churches to make sure nothing "judgmental" is being said.

This whole exhortation for us to puke all over ourselves to be ever-more "welcoming" leads to dangerous obscurings of obvious truths.  A recent example is the MEC's statement that "we need to engage communities where people are self-radicalizing."  He was speaking about situations like the Tsarnaev brothers.  Sheeesh!  They were raised in the bluest of blue states, exposed to post-American culture in all its hollowness and glitz, and even lived off the government gravy train.  The reason they attacked the Boston Marathon was that, in spite of the wrestling tournaments, girls, marijuana and college classes, they were jihadists.  They came from a family full of jihadists and kooks.  Of their own free will, they sought out fellow jihadists.

No, here's how it's supposed to work:  You come here as a Muslim, with a goal of someday subjecting the US to dhimmitude, it's you who has to have the change of attitude in order to stay and live among us.  And don't pull that faux-assimilation crap, playing our sports, listening to our music, smoking our weed, and then, when the time is right, turning an American institution into a day of terror, disfigurement and death.

This cultural dare business - the notion that if you hold the same religious and moral beliefs you did fifty years ago, you're some kind of bigot - is a powerful weapon in the hands of the Great Levelers.  How powerful?   That depends on whether our resolve is stronger than their vulgar indoctrination tactics.

6 comments:

  1. Not only smoking, but dealing our weed to supplement their welfare benefits. You knew I had to chime in on that one, lol. I agree, bloggie, with all else you said here, believe it or not. Don't think the Republic would publish it but if they did you would likely unleash a firestorm. Of general civic agreement with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies for sullying your blog with another link to a huffpost article (I liked them on facebook so get to read a lot of their stuff, don't worry, I also liked NR, AS & Breitbart which also post on facebook frequently), but on the weed front, another reason to hate Obama here, what a f'n phony! There is an even better article out there on Slate I think that I read which I will post if I can find it again. He was known at one time to barge into pot smoking circles shouting "Interception" as he grabbed a doob out of someone's canibinol stained fingers and proceeded to Bogart it.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derek-rosenfeld/president-obama-marijuana_b_3186559.html

    President Obama Is the Last Person Who Should Joke About Marijuana

    He has overseen more law enforcement raids on medical marijuana dispensaries than George W. Bush during his entire eight years in office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may also like a piece by Nick Gillespie at Reason entitled "From Choom Gang Member to Drug Warrior." Don't have link handy, by easily googled, I'm sure.

    Re: folks from, ahem, the the city where I live: I have linked this piece at Ritely.com, which has led to some hits, but those are probably from elsewhere. I also shared it privately with a FB friend who then posted it on his wall for all to see. Which is fine, I guess. Would this get me in trouble professionally? I would like to think not - that, as a freelancer, it's reasonable to assume that I will sound off on outlets of my choosing.

    And, lastly, I'm always intrigued by the points of convergence in our decidedly varying weltaunschungs. You'll never hear me accuse you of being stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what it's like to be dead. I know what it's like to be sad. I'm a smoker and overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me feel like I've never been born!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange how the more I agree with you the smarter I get.

    ReplyDelete