Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Softened up for conquest

Andrew Klavan has an excellent piece at Pajamas Media today in which he looks at the role of self-control in the juncture to which we have brought ourselves as a civilization.

It was a timely read for me, as I am casting about this very afternoon for a launching point for my next opinion column for our local newspaper. I feel compelled to devote the 600 words I'm allotted every few weeks to as all-encompassing a look at our present crisis as I can reasonably articulate. Each and every element of our morass is of such importance, and their connectedness so in need of pointing out as well, that to narrow my focus would, be, I feel, to give short shrift to some aspect of the situation that must not go unaddressed. Klavan's piece admirably ties together the economic, cultural and security-related facets of it.

We are where we are because we have not kept our character - our moral selves - in good enough shape to deal effectively with the timeless truths that comprise reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment