Sunday, September 11, 2011

If Western civilization has a shot at survival, it's because of fine young men like this

Today's nationally syndicated Mallard Fillmore strip is a salute to Aaron Byers.

I know Aaron personally and had the honor of seeing him off before his first tour of Afghanistan.  His mother is my dance instructor.

The backstory: Bruce Tinsley, the creator of Mallard Fillmore, lives in my city.  His father, Ed, who at one time had been an accomplished ballroom dancer, passed away recently after a lengthy bout wtih Alzheimer's disease.  Ronda (Aaron's mom) organizes showcases about two or three times a year for the students at her studio.  My wife and I have been in several.  For several years, the highlight of each showcase was the dance number that Ronda would do with Ed. He was a beloved figure in the Dance Street community.  Bruce would bring him to rehearsals a few times prior to each showcase, as well as to the showcase itself.  (I wrote about this in the fall issue of Enjoy!, a local lifestyle magazine.) (Bruce himself didn't dance.)

Bruce knew the story of how Aaron had seen the 9/11 events live on television and resolved, then and there, to become a United States Marine, which he now is.  He told Ronda and her husband he would do this in the 9/11/11 installment of his strip.  And so he has.

It's a humbling blessing to know such a great circle of people.

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you Barney! I too am blessed to have so many great people in my life. Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a sad thing that such young childern had to see such a terror but I am proud of Aaron because he kept his word to our country.

    ReplyDelete