Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The difference between post-America and the United States of America

What this portends for our nation hopefully disturbs you:

Americans are becoming less religious, judging by such markers as church attendance, prayer and belief in God, and the trend is more pronounced among young adults, according to a poll released on Tuesday.
The share of U.S. adults who say they believe in God, while still high compared with other advanced industrial countries, slipped to 89 percent in 2014 from 92 percent in 2007, according to the Pew Research Center's Religious Landscape Study.
The proportion of Americans who say they are "absolutely certain" God exists fell even more, to 63 percent in 2014 from 71 percent in 2007.
Young people are less likely to pray daily. There's also a partisan line running through the findings: Freedom-Haters are more likely to drift away from faith than Pubs.

I myself am just coming back to a life based on faith. The length of, and reasons for, my drift, have much to do with my demographic makeup. I grew up as a middle-class white person during the period from the mid-1950s to the mid-1970s. Saw all the big events of that time span covered live on television: MLK's career as a civil-rights activist, Kennedy assassination, space travel, Selma, Watts, Detroit, Vietnam, mainstreaming of marijuana, LSD, Summer of Love, 1968 (which was so packed with culture-jarring events it's best to here just use numerical shorthand), feminism, the musical soundtrack to the whole thing. I was a high-school senior in the spring of 1973, and I used to skip school when I could to watch the Watergate hearings.

I'm aware that many of my contemporaries lived though the exact same stream of developments and kept focused on studies and goals, married their sweethearts and lived out the ensuing decades much as their American forebears had done for generations. Many, but not all. And even many of them became inured to the overall effect on our civilization, so that when those upheavals began to bear their recent fruit - the immigration flood changing our very demographic makeup, the swallowing of the fiction that the global climate is in some kind of trouble, the federal government making an Illinois high school let a boy whose mental illness has led him to conclude he's a girl use the girl's locker room - they would often shrug and say, "Yeah, it's getting crazy out there" and resume tending to their personal lives.

I spent years as a snot-nosed rebel, with hair past my shoulders, studying everything about Buddhism and Hinduism I could get my hands on, living very loosely.

I won't recount here the particulars of the conversion experience that began my journey back to a forthright embrace of Western values, but let me say that the ideological conversion preceded a serious spiritual turnabout by many years. I finally discovered that I wasn't even "spiritual but not religious." I was just an agnostic, who, when I was honest with myself, didn't really consider the question of whether there was a God and the nature of that God very high on my list of life's important matters.

I was, in microcosm, what had gone wrong with our nation.

What turned me back? What put my tail end in the pew of a country church where the small assemblage that decidedly skews older belts out "Love Lifted Me" and "What A Friend We Have in Jesus" each Sunday right after the pastor booms, "Isn't it good to be in the house of the Lord?"?

It was this: a sense that a demonic force is at loose in our civilization, that our nation's soul is being eaten away as if the damage were being inflicted by cancer, or one of those flesh-eating microbes one reads about.

I came to remember why I'd named this blog as I did.

We're losing our birthright.

God saw fit to bless us with a unique understanding of the preciousness of liberty. He also chose to bless the world with a nation so constituted, that it might serve as an example of how a nation-state can truly thrive for the long haul.

But we may well be the swine before which pearls have been thrown.

And those who see what is happening are already seeing persecution for speaking out, a trend that will continue.

As never before, let us pray for guidance.

11 comments:

  1. Excellent writing, That's the Barney I know! Introspective over the edge, and "pretty" much spot on. Keep up the microcosm! Fellow Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent writing as always. Since you know the ways of waywardness well you are in an excellent position to treat the wayward well and help them to avoid your former hell. It ain't over till it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 heroes of the last great days of real America you continue to parrot and praise here, Cheney & Rummie have recently been skewered as the dicks I've continually contended they are here, by none other than GW's father in his new bio:

    Describing Cheney as an "iron-ass" and Rumsfeld as "arrogant," the 91-year-old Bush told his biographer Jon Meacham that he believed his son's presidency was ultimately "hurt" by the two confidantes, both of whom have been viewed as wielding an unprecedented level of authority with then-President George W. Bush.

    Although he maintains that Cheney, who also served as the elder Bush's secretary of defense, is a "good man," Bush reveals he was taken aback by the hawkish stance "the Dick Cheney I knew and worked with" adopted following the attacks on September 11.


    ADVERTISEMENT


    "The reaction to 9/11, what to do about the Middle East—just iron-ass," he is quoted saying in the new book. "His seeming knuckling under to the real hard-charging guys who want to fight about everything, use force to get our way in the Middle East..."

    As for Rumsfeld, Bush appeared even more critical.

    "I've never been that close to him anyway," he told Meacham. "There's a lack of humility, a lack of seeing what the other guy thinks. He's more kick ass and take names, take numbers. I think he paid a price for that."

    read more at http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/05/exclusive-hw-bush-jabs-at-cheney-rumsfeld-in-new-book/?intcmp=hpbt2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. For crying' out loud, Mr. President, we'd just suffered the worst catastrophic attack in the nation's history. We had badly underestimated the array of threats we were facing. What is the alternative to being "hard-charging?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, do you have anything to say that actually pertains to the subject of this post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your heading is The difference between post-America and the United States of America . I am just pointing out the underbelly of who you think led the real US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My other post referred to your personal reformation, after admitting to a wayward youth and early adulthood. How can you blame our youth a and thereby all of America for doing what you once did yourself? Or is yours a solo salvation? You even parse our youth into freedom haters and whatever your ilk is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Mr. Dingledy chooses to be Mr Quicks personal antagonist. I know from inside information Mr Dingledy greatly respects Mr Quicks writing prowess. Boy they do not agree though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Dingledy has perhaps been blogging too long here, 9 years. He may make it to the election but after that, the squawking may get too great here. Mr. Dingledy thinks this is a safe place to argue, away from the madding crowds on facebook and it definitely helps hone his thinking to write it out. Highly recommended to all the anonymous' in the world. Bad for the gizzard, good for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  10. LITD is where the inquisitive citizen comes for a full-throated defense of the three pillars of conservatism: free-market economics, an understanding of why Western civilization has been a unique blessing to humankind, and a US foreign policy based on our allies knowing we have their backs, our adversaries respecting us, and our enemies fearing us. Some who visit here are driven up the wall by this, but that is because their conversion to a correct worldview is not yet complete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My rowdy lib friends think I have grown more conservative. I enjoy, nay am driven, to explore all viewpoints. There are many areas where the bloggie and I agree. I detest his use of the phrase freedom haters and his continual negativism is somewhat of a downer. He has been whining about Obama nearly the entire 9 years I have been blogging here and at his former site which was Bent Notes. I was gratified to find that George HW Bush has affirmed my views of Cheney and Rummie which the bloggie continues to defend. Obladi, oblada....

    ReplyDelete