Sunday, November 10, 2013

This came from somebody who I'm pretty sure is a Dem - and I think there is much merit to this proposal

Okay, there I said it.  I guess what I would have to say to flesh out my reasons for making this the subject of a LITD post is that there still exist little statistical anomalies - a handful of Democrats here and there who do not hate freedom.

Dylan Matthews, writing at the WaPo's Wonkblog, offers six quite concrete action steps American higher education could take to reduce the cost of accessing it to $10K a pop.  They are:

1.) reduce administration

2.) reduce perks

3.) boost graduation

4.) blended learning (This one struck a chord with me because, as an adjunct instructor of jazz history and rock & roll history at a local community college, I am learning how to keep the online-course offerings from eating my lunch by offering a compelling balance between stuff I post that is very cool and was not available a few short years ago with the always-essential lecture experience, where students are treated to, among other things, anecdotes and resources that occur to me at a moment's notice.)

5.) Fewer majors

6.) Four levels of college

For full elucidation, read the whole linked piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment