Thursday, October 11, 2012

The spiritual rot at the core of our larger cultural rot

Eliot Abrams has a noteworthy piece today at NRO on the anti-Israel stance of American mainline Protestantism.  The United Methodists, United Presbyterians, Evangelical Lutherans, and the NCC are once again trying to influence US policy to be more critical of Israel and blind toward its interactions with Palestinians.  No mention by them, for instance, of the number of Palestinians who get treated - often for free - in Israeli hospitals, or the number of Arabs in Israeli politics and public life, or Israel's financial aid to the PA.

I wrote my master's thesis over 25 years ago on the correlation between mainline Protestantism's left-wing foreign-policy stance and the emptying of its pews.  This clearly continues apace.

I live about four blocks from the Presbyterian church in which I grew up and got confirmed.  (Still use the tattered Bible I was given by Rev. Laws upon entering the Junior Department in 1964.)  My visits there in recent decades have been sporadic, to say the least.  Sometimes members remind me I'm still on the rolls and suggest I try coming back into the fold.

Nah.

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a stomach full of the Presbyterians about 4 years ago. The church I attend now is fundamental, conservative, Bible based and full every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete