Friday, October 4, 2019

Ben Sasse's principles appear to be in good shape

A few days ago, I wrote a post entitled "Has Ben Sasse Put A Dent In His Integrity? I'm Not Convinced,"  in which I brought up a recent Charlie Sykes essay at NBC News's Think page. I pointed out that Sykes's substantiation for declaring a Trumpward drift on Sasse's part was pretty thin gruel:

He hangs his argument on three somewhat narrow points of substantiation, though: the national-emergency vote in the Senate, the low profile Sykes claims that Sasse has been keeping since earlier this year, and Trump's endorsement of him.
I thin noted that I was, as I wrote, listening to a Jonah Goldberg podcast conversation with Senator Sasse, and that it satisfied me regarding any concerns Sykes had enumerated.

I'm further encouraged by the forthright way Sasse has responded to the latest boneheaded idea from the Very Stable Genius:

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) pushed back strongly on Thursday night against President Trump's suggestion that the Chinese government investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.
 
"Hold up: Americans don’t look to Chinese commies for the truth. If the Biden kid broke laws by selling his name to Beijing, that’s a matter for American courts, not communist tyrants running torture camps," Sasse said in a statement to the Omaha World-Herald.
Thank you, Senator.


1 comment:

  1. Agree with Sen Ben. Guess my principles (and those of many other Democrats are in good shape here too.

    ReplyDelete