Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Jones victory - initial thoughts

A disciplined yet passionately-invested-on-the-level-of-prionciple observer of the political scene has to guard against the flood of emotions that splash at the gate of one's mind following a decision among voters. When a hoped-for victory has been achieved, less-than-noble sentiments like gloating and schadenfreude are the big temptation. When confronting defeat, blind rage must be guarded against.

In the wake of the Alabama decision, LITD has to worry about neither. Since both candidates were so undesirable that, had I been an Alabama citizen, I would have stayed home, I'm just left shaking my head at the spectacle of post-America swirling ever-further down the toilet.

Actually, let me backtrack. I feel a great deal of gloating and schadenfreude regarding Steve Bannon. A singularly toxic figure in contemporary politics, it is sweet indeed to know his exhortations have been rebuked, and that even Trump is reportedly furious at him.

Let us remember, though, that that signals the further fracturing of the sociopolitical landscape. We now have a major rupture within Trumpism. Actually, maybe that will wind up being a blessing, if it seals the deal on Bannon's marginalization.

The most glaring of Jones's repellent traits, of course, is his support for the extermination of fetal Americans, right up to the point at which the crowns of their heads are emerging from their mothers. While he'll no doubt quickly join forces with his kindred spirits on the Hill, they are still in no position to move the needle further in their direction at present.

One thing that can be said is that a whole lot of folks have had a learning experience thrust in their faces.

Maybe even me. To the question I often ask as I drift off to sleep at night - "Is this realm really hopelessly fallen and defiled?" - I've been given a resounding "yes."

5 comments:

  1. This blog would be more aptly named as Above the Fray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While not in favor, abortion has been found, so far, to be constitutional but I would never advise anyone to do it. Many of these fundies it seems would vote for Hitler if he was anti A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black folk voted in droves and I like it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Above the Fray." I like that. I'll use it if ever:

    1.) The tribalism currently gripping our politics and society proves permanent, meaning the old lines of demarcation between left and right are not as relevant as that tribalism.
    2.) The encroaching of the darkness in general eases up.For now that is the most salient feature of where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just don't see darkness in my diurnal existence, living and letting live seems to work for me and seeking the best in all folks, including myself (which certainly involves the balance of regular R&R, including prayers of gratitude and mindfulness) and I'm in gear for the day by day. It's not so very late in the day when a new day dawns daily.

    ReplyDelete