Monday, December 18, 2017

A humbling revelation in a plate-lunch diner

Pockets of actual America still exist within the desolate landscape of post-America. That was my big takeaway from what I'd anticipated was going to be a routine business conversation a while ago.

It's just a few minutes after noon, and I've already been blessed immeasurably today.

I write for a local quarterly business magazine. When I get assignments from my editor, I generally pop into the establishment to be profiled, introduce myself, find out who I'll want to interview, and leave a card.

That was the plan this morning when I went to Shorty's. It's a short-order lunch place. It was founded in 1930 and has a rich history. It's basically served a blue-collar clientele over the years - shop-floor people from nearby factories, landscaping crews and construction people. It's famous for its take on the classic Hoosier sandwich, the breaded tenderloin.

I wasn't really overly fired up about the assignment. I knew it was under new ownership, but I figured it was still the kind of sleepy, down-home eatery that it had always been.

Nothing in my first few minutes occurred that would have changed my perception. Well, that's not entirely true. The three people operating the place - the guy on the line plating orders up, the cash register gal, and the lady who was overseeing everything  - were far more ebullient than anybody I'd ever seen at Shorty's before.

I explained the nature of my business, and the lady said, "Here, let me text the owners. I'm sure they'll come by in a few minutes." Then she insisted I have a tenderloin - on the house. (It was magnificent, by the way.)

The owners arrived, and between their attire and their general bearing, it was obvious they were introducing a new vibe to Shorty's. The man was wearing a suit sans jacket - a really nice suit. His wife had on a crisply professional business dress. Beaming smiles, high energy.

Here's the short - excuse the pun - version, and I'll try to keep this from turning into a rough draft for what I'm going to write for the magazine. He's from Georgia, she's from Louisiana. He moved to our city out of high school because of family connections. Worked at Wendy's, then studied drafting and worked in a couple of industrial settings. Then went to work for AT&T, which led to starting a cell-phone-repair shop. She is an RN in an Indianapolis hospital. They heard Shorty's was for sale, and had a look.

They have a blended family, eight kids between them, all still under their roof - although one is about ready to start college. The entire family - including some cousins - helped out with remodeling when they made the purchase. Hanging drywall, framing, painting.

They spoke of the sense of stewardship they felt once they bought it, how it motivated them to put in long hours.

Since they bought it, they've added evening hours, as well as some Louisiana touches to the menu.

I hesitated to make note of this demographic fact, but it reinforces how special the whole story is. The  owner-couple is black, and all the employees are white (save the line guy, who is a cousin). The customers, who began pouring in as the time got closer to noon, and who are to a considerable degree old Shorty's regulars, were all white as well. But commerce and camaraderie are the order of the day. The new owners have definitely embarked on the new chapter in Shorty's history with aplomb.

They graciously sat for the entire interview right there and then. I'd expected to merely set up something for later. (The husband did excuse himself to help out on the line for a bit.)

I came away feeling a rekindled sense of hope for America. In a time so blighted by cynicism, bitterness, shrill invective, identity politics, and lust and its destructive aftereffects, here was a real-life portrait in loyalty, entrepreneurial vision, hard but joyful work, and plain decency, an inspiration to everyone stepping in.

An experience like that braces one. At least for the rest of today, I can't allow myself to lapse into cynicism, anxiety or confusion. It would dishonor what I'd been privileged to witness. I must hope. I must act on my inspirations. I must look for the light in my fellow human being's eye.

Thanks to the crew at Shorty's. And thanks to Him for creating them.

15 comments:

  1. Yeah, I sure don't come across anything in my diurnal interactions with other Americans indicative of the apocalypse either. And half my office is black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you'll really love the part that we're 1099ers with no employer paid OASI contrib, no work comp, no unemployment and of course no health insurance. Real dawn of delight giving reasons for ultimate hope for your ilk. Alas, less than a year into the Trump presidency we seem to be on the Eve of Destruction on multiple fronts, not that you can brook the boor, but baby you sure love his ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's what you have chosen to do for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not what my or any one else's experience was up till Big Jackie Welch and your beloved Ronnie. Don't you worry bout me dicks, just keep on taking, we expect and anticipate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even know what that means. What am I "taking"? Who is this "we" who expects and anticipates "it"?

    I know you said "duh,," but I'm not at all sure you understood what you were saying "duh" to.

    You chose to do what you do for a living. If on balance, you're displeased, do something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You have a particular occupation. Apparently on balance it suits you. Otherwise you'd be doing something else. What is all this other stuff about "taking" and "highways"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are missing the point that corporations are skirting the magnificent social insurance achievements of the 20th Centiry which are tried and true Comstitutional law. Corporations have become beholden to the stockholders only since the 80s. Ya really think they are going to invest their new found and dastardly won tax savings into human capital? I know my industry which is insurance is looking to automate and artificially intelligentize as much as possible as fast as possible,!like the screwing were getting from Pubs in Congress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They’ll invest in whatever maximizes return for shareholders, to whom they’ve always been “beholden” and properly so.
    How are Congress Pubs screwing you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know. Dems never even committeed in on tax bill a cram and ram.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I don’t know and neither do you or you’d directly answer my question

    ReplyDelete
  11. I repeat, Dems never even committeed in on tax bill a cram and ram

    ReplyDelete
  12. If corp's only fealty is to stockholders, then cut the crap about how this bill will produce jobs jobs jobs and other economic prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The two are related. Corporations are in business to make and sell products. They'll have more money to do that with, and they'll need people to do the making and selling.

    ReplyDelete