Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Democrat party: too far gone for moral rescue

Abe Greenwald at Commentary provides the requisite bluntness:

Disease is reversible—rot isn’t. Representatives Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib brought the disease of anti-Semitism into the upper echelons of the Democratic Party when they were elected in November. The party could have fought the disease. It chose instead to nurture it. And that’s when the irreversible rot set in.
The rot explains why Democrats, from Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi on down, are vigorously defending Tlaib’s recent lies about Arabs welcoming Jews after the Holocaust. It doesn’t matter what Tlaib or Omar say, how blunt their Jew-hatred is, or how often it’s aired. A defense pact is already in place that covers all calumnies against the Jews. Both the Democratic leadership and the liberal media establishment will back these bigots against any and all charges of anti-Semitism in return for smooth relations with the social-justice left. It’s a monstrous deal made by people too weak to defend their party and speak the truth.
Everyone who sees this is now faced with the imperative to choose candor when encountering situations in which the Democrat party is being defended.

About two months ago, I got an email from the campaign of a young woman running for city council where I live, asking for support. I know her personally. She is a great person and an asset to our community. Her family and mine have been good friends for three generations. I was particularly close to her uncle when we were growing up. Her grandfather held some local governmental offices - as a Republican. Alas, when I saw at the bottom of her email that she was running as a Democrat, that was the deal-breaker. (Actually, the young man who will be her opponent in the fall is someone of whom I am a huge fan, so there wasn't much doubt what I was going to do even before that.)

I responded, "I implore you to reconsider your association with this evil organization. Pray about this, please."

I see her at meetings I cover and I suppose it could be me, but I think she acts a little differently towards me now. This is unfortunate, but I have no regrets at inviting her to part ways with the rot.

5 comments:

  1. Funny, I thought the 3 term Dem mayor we had in your town before the Pubs took over was pretty OK. It was the Republican rabble rouser who replaced him who raised a lot of hackles, but I spose that was everybody else's fault that they could not discern genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction: 4 terms for the old Dem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, with some perspective provided by hindsight, I have come to see that that mayor in question wasn't wrapped any too tight. A while back, she showed up at a police review board meeting I was covering and after those assembled had conducted their brief business, she said, "I'd like to discuss a particular matter" and proceeded to lob stink bombs big-time, accusing the police chief - to his face in a rather small meeting room - of being a liar. Over some incident from shortly after the current administration had come into office involving a CPD vehicle that had been in a mishap. Someone else from the department told her, "We gave you an incident report about that, per your request, but you chose to go a different route and file suit against us." That set her off even worse. Everyone just looked at the table and cleared their throats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The current guy is a Pub, but he's really not too far from the way Armstrong governed. Public-private partnerships. Consultants with grand visions. Go along get along with all the leftist stuff (diversity and sustainability).

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're a follow the money town for sure.

    ReplyDelete