Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The little pointy-headed functionaries who carry out the Leviathan's bidding may be cordial and appear sympathetic, but remember, they truly do not see things your way

Great Roger Kimball piece at the WSJ today on his attempt to return his Sandy-damaged house to its pre-storm condition.  He takes the reader through the Kafkaesque labyrinth of requirements cooked up by levels ranging from his local zoning board to FEMA.

I'm reminded of a story that I'm not sure I've told at LITD before.

In a former life, I spent some time at my family's manufacturing company.  Contract metal-stamping.  Coils of steel fed into punch pressed fitted with dies.  (Press  operator during college summers, then cost estimating, culminating in taking over as president. It was long ago and a miserable time in my life.  I sold the company, finished my master's degree in history and went a markedly different direction.  Not all of us are suited for everything.)

One day, an OSHA inspector came a-calling.  An affable sort, very cordial.  During a brief conversation in the front-office foyer it was revealed that he had some private-sector industrial experience.  We listened politely, and then my father informed him that he would need to see a warrant signed by a judge.  The inspector grinned slightly and said, "You do realize that this extra formality only delays my inevitable audit by a day."  My dad said, "Indeed we do.  We're just doing it because we can."

Now, my relationship with my father was multi-layered and complex, but I can say I was never prouder of him than in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment