Monday, November 26, 2012

The Freedom-Haters' new gotcha question

In the just-concluded election cycle it was about pregnancy and rape.  Now it's "How old do you think the Earth is?"

I've never cared much for GQ anyway.  It is the ultimate embodiment of self-congratulatory metrosexualism and shallow materialism.

Shawn Mitchell at Townhall does a good job conjecturing the circumstances under which the question in its Marco Rubio interview was crafted:

 the premeditated bad faith of an upscale publication. The random question is untethered  from public policy, from issues in the US Senate, or measures Rubio might pursue. It arose from a singular goal unrelated to reporting current events: GQ wanted to conjure a killer question, something that might damage a popular potential GOP presidential candidate.  It’s easy to imagine the query came from a group brainstorm over lunch: “Think, people…how can we trip him?!”

I also like the reply Mitchell says he would have given the magazine:

Our best science says the earth is 4.5 billion years old. I don’t have a good reason to question that. I don’t know what a “day” is in the account of Creation. But I do believe in a God of miracles and mysteries. So I’m not going to scratch your inquisitional itch by denouncing anyone’s literal belief in the biblical account.
Does that trouble you? Why? I accept the laws of science and physics, and I admire the people who work to understand and reveal them. If, as a public official, I propose to substitute prayer for research, Bible verses for nuclear codes, or religious rites for rigorous testing, then, you can get concerned. 
But until that point, the faith I hold somewhere in my mind and heart is between me and my God. If you want to force me to sign a loyalty oath denying it, you can go to Hell, figuratively speaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment