Friday, February 3, 2017

The unbridled vitriol is doing the Left no favors

Herewith a brief - no doubt incomplete - list of the major expressions of cornered-animal rage from the Left since Inauguration Day:

- the riot in downtown DC the day of the Inauguration

- the pussy-hat marches around the nation the next day

- Democrat Senators boycotting meeting of committees on which they serve when it's been time to vote on cabinet appointments

- acting AG Sally Yates refusing to enforce the immigration order

- Sarah Silverman calling for a military coup against the new administration'

- the riot in Berkeley in response to the scheduled Milo Yiannopoulos appearance

- Nancy Pelosi saying that the Gorsuch nomination is bad for anybody who drinks water, takes medicine or eat food.


The Left is posing a basic question to the nation: To what extent does the American public still understand the notion of basic decorum, dignity, intellectual clarity and self-respect?

I have not pursued polling information on the question of how the public is reacting to the sum total of the above hissy fits, but it's clear that Trump's poll numbers are not hurting.

The basic message that Yates, Silverman, Pelosi, Ashely Judd, Keith Ellison, Michael Moore et al are sending us is that infantile displays of venomous rage are acceptable behavior.

My sense is that not too many folks outside their echo chamber are buying it.

For all the weirdness of post-America (Exhibit A: transgendered Boy Scouts), we still expect people to generally be able to get a grip.


15 comments:

  1. Agreed. I feel like an orphan, because the left does not represent me any more than you Republicans will ever do. I'm against abortion. Am I leftist? I'm against Israel's brash settlement of the occupied territories. Am I leftist? I am against war in all but the most extreme circumstances and against preemptive striking, am I leftist? I'm for statecraft. Am I leftist? I am for the UN. Am I leftist? Etc., etc., etc. Half the country thinks Trump is moving too fast. Are they all leftist or, at best, reasonable gentlepersons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus you are full of your own shit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But please remind me again why you want to start a war? Do you think it will be short with no collateral damage and that it will not evolve into a World War? You know your Republican President--the one Ted Cruz remains silent over) is stomping on old alliances and appears ready to go everything alone which might be a leetle mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Snit, the legislature remains in quite time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The notion that I want to "start a war" - what? You mean, like pick some area of the world at random and say "'This ought to do" and start the air strikes? - is so goofy it's bemusing

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, not at all pick some area of the world which is a real goofy retort. Those in power under God must do all possible to prevent war. So I'm leftist because I'm anti war and view statecraft as the only way?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Statecraft" is a rather vague term. I hope you're not talking about appeasing countries that take a hostile stance toward the US and / or its allies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Dings, Is there not always some war somewhere? Statecraft is better, more people survive. In my opinion there is nothing beyond a direct and immediate threat to my or our nature that merits any form of aggression. A clear plan has not been offered has it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Statecraft is much much more than appeasement. And there are books written about it (see Dennis White's Statecraft) among many other titles that give the lie to bloggie's blanket statement that it is a vague term. At any rate, I shall continue to seek refuge in my Catholic Church. And NPR & PBS. The universe is much too broad a place to be shrunk into mere politics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Make that Dennis Ross, not White.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No clear plan has been offered, but the bloggie remains silent so he can strategize on his own as if Trump is not even there. Trump does what bloggie wants, Trump good. Trump don't do what bloggie wants, Trump very bad. Sorry about being a goddam leftie in bloggie's eyes, but I yam what I yam and that's all I ever can be....

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I say, I was #NeverTrump to the very end. I am free to cheer his good moves - and there have been several - and call out the bad ones.

    ReplyDelete