Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Langley speech: vintage Squirrel-Hair

The tone has been set:

If you thought the purpose of the visit was to build bridges, ensure common goals, etc. you would be mostly disappointed. There was some of that:
And I want to just let you know: I am so behind you. And I know, maybe sometimes, you haven’t gotten the backing that you’ve wanted. And you’re going to get so much backing. Maybe you’re going to say “please don’t give us so much backing”. [laughter] “Mr President, please, we don’t need that much backing”.
But you’re going to have that. And I think everybody in this room knows it.
If one had say there was a focus in the speech it would be that he pointed out to the CIA in detail why the press is the enemy of both he and the CIA and to make common cause in not trusting the media. The main theme he employed was disputing the crowd estimates for the inaugural versus the “Women’s March” today. Subsidiary attacks were on a TIME reporter who, without bothering to check, had claimed that Trump had removed the Martin Luther King, Jr. bust from the White House to make way for the Churchill bust. He issued a correction but the fact that he made a race based attack on Trump without bothering to even check speaks volumes for his intent.
Trump’s main applause line was probably this:
So I can only say that I am with you 1000%. And the reason you’re my first stop is that as you know, I have a running war with the media. They are among the most dishonest human beings on Earth. [laughter, applause]
And they sort of made it sound like I had a feud with the Intelligence Community. And I just want to let you know, the reason you’re the number 1 stop is exactly the opposite. Exactly. And they understand that too.
This indicates the message was received.

"I am so behind you."

Can't you just hear his first State of the Union address?

"So I am calling on Congress to send me a beautiful budget, a budget that is a tremendous deal. A budget that is all action, no talk.  A budget that is a win for the American people. A budget that our failing papers and networks in this country can't lie about."

And in his commentary afterward, Sean Hannity will deem it Lincolnesque.




1 comment:

  1. Very funny, almost prophetic!
    So I am calling on Congress to send me a beautiful budget, a budget that is a tremendous deal. A budget that is all action, no talk. A budget that is a win for the American people. A budget that our failing papers and networks in this country can't lie about.

    Maybe....
    This week I am going to schedule just a little get to know you down out Wall Street in exchange for opening up those pesky streets in NY distressed by protecting our first Citizen.

    ReplyDelete