Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Because where freedom, my mouth and my belly intersect, it gets personal

I think this blog is going to be a great resource.  The focus is the MEC regime's policy encroachments into the field of food, with interesting reportage on the First Family's own culinary forays and how they are or are not consistent with their exhortations, initiatives, gentle extortions and attempts at fiat.

Since I launched LITD yesterday, we've already looked at the new fuel efficiency standards being imposed on car and truck makers.  No doubt we'll be covering the attempt to preserve the normal-people light bulb in the face of the Freedom-Hater Frente's campaign to shove those curly-Q mercury-laden units of tepid illumination down our throats.

But, food, now, that's where Daddy definitely draws the line in the sand.  Food's place in my life is sublime.  It infuses the human experience with meaning on levels too numerous to count.  I host a food-and-dining radio show on our local news-talk station, on which I offer recipes, talk about herb gardening, wine and restaurants, and, you may have surmised, get on the occasional soapbox when a food-news item has cultural implications.  I post photos of meals I've prepared on Facebook.  I have a running household-menu-planning section of my mind that functions concurrent to my other thought processes.

So totalitarian measures like mandated nutritional-value signs in restaurants, or leaning on supermarket chains to put stores in "underserved" "food deserts," or spending stimulus money on eat-your-broccoli posters in day-care centers, gall me in particularly astringent ways.

Thus, I'm gratified to see this excellent site to which I'll no doubt refer frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment