Tuesday, November 26, 2019

And then there's this "rightie" from the other side of that internal spectrum who has gone off the rails in his own way

I'm speaking of Tucker Carlson, whose jaw-droppingly wild blurting have become more frequent over the past year or so.

But now we are at the point where a lefty guest on his show makes the cogent point and he makes an ass of himself:

On his Monday evening show, Carlson invited former Clinton adviser Richard Goodstein on to discuss President Trump’s impeachment as it relates to Russia and Ukraine. During a heated exchange, Carlson questioned why the United States should care about Ukraine at all. 
“Why do I care what’s going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia?” Carlson asked. “I’m serious. Why do I care? And why shouldn’t I root for Russia? Because I am.”
Carlson noted that he’s not worried about what happens in Europe because he lives in Washington, D.C. He claimed he’s much more concerned about China’s threat to the U.S. than he is about Russia.
Tucker was trying his best to keep Goodstein from speaking, but Goodstein was able to squeeze in  the point that Americans should care because Russian aggression against Ukraine is a flashpoint in the struggle of democracy against authoritarian hegemony.

Let me state for the record, so there's no mistake, that I find Goodstein obnoxious in his own way. You couldn't be a campaign advisor to Madame Bleachbit and not be. But he's not wrong about this.

Carlson tried to walk it back toward the end of his show, saying he was only joking about supporting Russia. But he apparently stands by his main point, that he doesn't care about that conflict. He only cares about America, whatever that means.

And leftist outlets have been having a field day with this episode. I had to scroll through eight left-of-center Google links before I got to the Washington Examiner story I've used for this post.

Kristols to the left of me, Carlsons to the "right." Real conservatism has a hard time getting an airing these days, as I predicted would happen that tragic night of May 3, 2016 in Indianapolis.


No comments:

Post a Comment