Sunday, February 5, 2012

Party central

I live in what could be considered the greater Indianapolis area (forty miles to the south), so the electricity is palpable. I didn't actually get to downtown - Super Bowl Village - but I know some folks who did the zip line, saw celebrities and such. (My last trip to Indy was a week ago Wednesday, but I went up to Broad Ripple to have lunch with my sister. Got off I-65 at 11th Street, at the north edge of downtown.)
It's very cool to see and be proximate to. I've been checking out some media coverage from around the nation and the consensus seems to be that the city is doing a world-class job of hosting a huge event.
I guess I'll be rooting for the Giants because of the Manning family connection.
That's another factor adding to the electricity. Peyton has been cleared by his doctors to get back to playing NFL football, but he is known to be dismayed by the way Colts owner Jim Irsay gutted the coaching staff and the management team. So he's pondering his options. Meanwhile, because the Colts had such a cruddy season, they get a first-round draft pick for quarterback and the guy they'll almost certainly go with, Andrew Luck, is in town for the big game. The press is inundating him with questions about how he'd feel being second string to Peyton, or, should Peyton move on, taking the reins of basically a whole new program.
I hope Peyton stays at least one more year. It would be supremely cool to see the Colts roar to glory under the leadership of his mighty arm and strategic eye one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment