Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Today's January 6 testimony: heart-wrenching and infuriating

 There's the experience of Shaye Moss and Ruby Freeman:

The mother and daughter from Fulton County who were thrown into a dizzying harassment campaign by President Donald Trump and his allies in the wake of the 2020 election gave emotional testimony on Tuesday to the Jan. 6 Committee about the life-altering effects of that campaign. 

"Do you know how it feels to have the President of the United States to target you?" Ruby Freeman, the mother of now-former Fulton County elections worker Wandrea' "Shaye" Moss said in taped testimony. "The President of the United States is supposed to represent every American, not to target one. but he targeted me, 'Lady Ruby' - a small business owner, a mother, a proud American citizen who stood up to help Fulton County run the election in the middle of the pandemic."

Freeman was a volunteer at State Farm Arena on Election Night 2020, a fateful event that launched them into the crosshairs of the most powerful man in the world as he sought to overturn Georgia's election results and remain in office.

The two were among the small handful of people who stayed late at State Farm Arena counting ballots into the early morning after most workers, observers and media members had left due to a misunderstanding about whether counting was done for the night.

The zombie-eyed Very Stable Genius cult has made a point of trying to ruin Ruby's life:

"I've lost my name, I've lost my reputation, I've lost my sense of security - all because a group of people starting with No. 45 (Trump) and his ally Rudy Giuliani decided to scapegoat me and my daughter Shaye, to push their own lies about how the presidential election was stolen," Freeman said.

Her daughter's life is shattered as well:

"I don't go to grocery store, I don't do nothing anymore. I don't wanna go anywhere. I second guess everything that I do," she said. "It's affected my life in a major way, in every way. All because of lies for me doing my job, same thing I've been doing forever."

There's the experience of Rusty Bowers:

  • According to Bowers, who said he denied ever calling the election rigged, then-Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani claimed that 200,000 unauthorized immigrants and "5,000 or 6,000 dead people" had voted in the election.
  • He said that after asking "multiple times" for evidence, Trump interrupted and said, "Give the man what he needs, Rudy!" 
  • But Giuliani never produced the evidence, he added.
  • Giuliani also claimed that Arizona had a "legal theory or a legal ability" by which electors of President Biden could be removed and replaced, Bowers said. 
  • When the lawyer pressed Bowers on it, the Arizona House speaker said he told him, "You’re asking me to do something against my oath, and I will not break my oath."


He was not somebody who had been opposing Trump prior to running into his controversy

Bowers was one of five recipients of this year’s John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award, given to public officials who protect U.S. democracy.

“As a conservative Republican, I don’t like the results of the presidential election,” Bowers said, according to the awards page. “I voted for President Trump and worked hard to reelect him. But I cannot and will not entertain a suggestion that we violate current law to change the outcome of a certified election.”

These people came under attack by one of the most toxic and fearsome elements in our very dark society. Trumpism is a force for destruction of everything that has identified America since its founding. What astounds me is that this buffoon, this obvious flaming narcissist, who has never been driven by anything more noble than hedonistic impulses, wealth accumulation and garnering of praise has convinced such a significant swath of the American public, from the yay-hoos whose vehicles are decked out with confederate flags to credentialed lawyers with distinguished pasts such as Rudy Giuliani to formerly respected intellectuals such as Roger Kimball and Conrad Black, to go to these lengths to try to shore up his glorification.

And he'll brook no interruption or lessening of that determination to go to such lengths. He throws his own daughter under the bus.

And even an undyingly devoted leg-humper can become expendable when push comes to shove. Exhibit A: John Eastman.

Anybody who finds anything appealing about this absolute charlatan at this late date has some serious answering to do if he and his movement continue to dominate the Republican Party. You think what Biden and the Left are doing to this country is horrible (and I don't disagree)? Just wait until you see the horrifying transformation Trumpism re-elected will wreak on post-America.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment