Monday, August 12, 2013

All except one

An interesting list at Salon.com of the 15 Most Hated Bands of the Last 30 Years.  It was refreshing indeed to see this asserted by someone who is probably far savvier about pop culture in the those last three decades that I am.  (I am academically credentialed as a cultural historian, but my claim to expertise stops about where this list begins.)

Most of the musical acts on this list are exactly why I tuned out pop culture, and I'm glad to see that the passage of some time has imparted that perspective to some observers acknowledged to be seasoned.

One exception: Phish.  Yes, the whole follow-them-on-tour / trade-recordings-and-playlists-of-shows business was indicative that the core of their fan base needed to get a life, but I have a soft spot for freewheeling hippie music going back to the Bay Area scene of the late 1960s.

No comments:

Post a Comment