Saturday, March 14, 2020

I don't know if he has COVID-19 or not, but the Very Stable Genius is one sick individual

His need to be glorified knows no bounds.

I didn't see his presser yesterday at which he declared a national emergency. For that matter, I only caught a passing glance at his Oval Office address Wednesday. I try to avoid his television appearances if at all possible. But I'd heard that the presser was an appreciable improvement over Wednesday's event. (I'm also seeing quite a few assessments that Mike Pence indulged in a cringe-worthy display of sycophancy.)

That's good, I thought. This nation desperately needs an assurance that leadership is the executive branch's top priority at this moment.

But the observation I've made over the VSG years - that there's a cycle in which he follows a laudable move with two or three boneheaded stunts that pretty much negate the good impact of the first move in the cycle - kept nagging at me.

Now I know why. Behold:



That's his autograph on a chart showing the uptick in the stock market's performance Friday afternoon. He sent it to supporters. No mention of the national emergency.

Plus, there's this to remember about that uptick:

In boasting about the stock market, the President was cherry-picking a single day's rally amid a period of major selloffs and a 20% decline that was the fastest in history. 
Friday was the best day for stocks since 2008, but the S&P 500 ended the week with sharp losses and fell into a bear market on Thursday. 
The day's rally also came the day after the worst day for stocks since the 1987 crash. 
Three of our four most recent presidents have been flaming narcissists. (George Bush is the only one who hasn't been.) But the other two at least had some acquaintance with decorum. This guy has clearly never been told by anyone that he's overstepped any kind of bounds.

He has a lot of nerve ever depicting anyone else as being in over his head.





No comments:

Post a Comment